Thursday 17 March 2011

Postmodern Comedy

Response to the Media Magazine article;
I think that, to see a comedy programme as postmodern you actually have to enjoy it and find it funny. (You also have to watch it in the first place.) I think it often comes down to personal preference as to whether the programme is postmodern or not.
From my point of view, I couldn’t really comment on whether these texts are postmodern:
·   I’ve never watched ‘Gavin & Stacey’ as it’s just not my thing.
·   I’ve never watched ‘The Inbetweeners’ but from seeing the trailer it looks, to me, like a load of rubbish.
·   I really don’t like ‘The Mighty Boosh’ – I don’t find it funny, it’s boring, it’s rubbish and I’d rather not have to watch it in my Media lessons.
If you like something then I’m sure you can see the postmodernism within it when you look for it but, to be honest, how many of the viewers of these programmes actually sit there and think, “yeah, I am watching something postmodern”? Not very many, I shouldn’t think. It’s not until they’re asked that they really think about that aspect.

A postmodern text ~ ‘Let’s Dance for Comic Relief’;
I think BBC One’s ‘Let’s Dance for Comic Relief’ can be seen as postmodern comedy. A bunch of celebrities performing iconic dance routines to raise money for ‘Comic Relief’ – now how can you not find that funny?!
I think is programme includes, and is largely based around, intertextuality, homage, parody and pastiche.
Intertextuality:- Each dance routine is based on the original, whether it be from a musical or a music video, and the celebrity is dressed up to look like the artist. For example, Kate Garraway and Richard Arnold dressed up as Danny and Sandy from ‘Grease’ to perform ‘Born to Hand Jive’ in series 2.
Homage:- Each song that is performed is chosen by the producers in homage to the original artist. For example, in series 3, Michael Jackson’s ‘Bad’ was chosen for Andi Osho to perform.
Parody and Pastiche:- These 2 go together where ‘Let’s Dance for Comic Relief’ is concerned. The celebrities perform the routines as pastiche because they are fans of the artist, song or musical, but they end up turning out as a parody because they are often funny – especially when it’s a male comedian dressed up as women and having a really good time. For example, Paddy McGuinness and Keith Lemon dressing up as Johnny and Baby from ‘Dirty Dancing’ and performing ‘(I’ve had) The Time of my Life’.
I think I’ll let them show you themselves…
Videos: Robert Webb performing ‘What a Feeling’ from ‘Flashdance’ in series 1 and Rufus Hound performing ‘Fight for this Love’ by Cheryl Cole in series 2 (and both rightfully winning).

No comments:

Post a Comment